When you think of the bond with your baby, you might think of a baby smiling on your stomach. But did you know that this bond develops much earlier, even in the womb? New research shows that the bond you feel during pregnancy says a lot about the relationship you will have together after birth. In this blog, you will find more information – plus lots of tips to strengthen the bond with your baby.
It used to be thought that a baby in the womb did not feel or notice anything. Today we know better. Babies are very sensitive and really get to know the world through you. In the stomach, they hear your heartbeat and the sounds in the family. They taste the amniotic fluid, which will taste like breastfeeding later. They even feel your stress or peace and are sometimes startled by a loud noise or an angry voice. Conversely, they also feel your love and attention. It really pays off to make time for the baby in your tummy.
In a busy family that can sometimes be difficult, I know all about it myself.
With the first, we were always so aware of that moving creature. But on the second and third, sometimes I just forgot I was pregnant. Then it is extra important to make time for it. For example with these nice ways to pay attention to your baby:
- Plan set times in the day. Many couples enjoy touching their tummy in the evening on the couch or in bed in the morning and ‘playing’ with the baby.
- Register for a pregnancy course. Ask if attention is also paid to making contact with your baby, preferably together with your partner. This certainly happens during a haptonomy course, giving birth together, ZBK or hypnobirthing. That will definitely be a moment of the week to look forward to together.
- Live healthily. Pay attention to your diet, go to bed on time, take a rest, and try to avoid stress. You take care of yourself and your baby at the same time. This gives a good feeling and makes you aware of your child throughout the day. Here some interesting information about nutrition during pregnancy in traditional cultures. Many cultures provide the most valuable “sacred” nutrients to pregnant and breastfeeding mothers.
- Accept help – or get paid help – to relieve you.
- All the things you need to buy and all the baby layout lists are less important than time and rest. Of course, it is useful if there are clothes for the baby, but in that first period, a baby mainly needs you. A lot of things are not necessary at all. You can borrow others or buy them later.
- Listen to beautiful music or a relaxation exercise. You can download this from a befriended hypnobirthing teacher for free.
- A pregnancy massage is also beneficial. If you live in the region,
- Join a sling workshop or book a consultation. By practicing with the heavy dolls, carrying your baby immediately becomes very concrete. If you want, you can already buy a cloth or carrier that suits you. Then you can make a flying start wearing after giving birth. It is nice if your partner comes along too.
- Do you notice that you do not feel well, that you suffer from anxiety and stress, and that you cannot enjoy your pregnancy? Then don’t wait too long to seek help, in the interest of yourself and your baby. There is practical help, for example, if you have financial concerns. There is also emotional help, such as a mindfulness course or help from a social worker or psychologist. Your midwife or doctor can tell you more about it.